Monday, April 27, 2009

You Can't Sell What You're Selling

This is the first in what I call my "Belief Rants" for marketers. Or at least those who I work with. Thanks for reading and rant back at me or with me by posting your comments.

Belief Rant #1
You can't "sell" what you're selling.

Companies that are trying to force feed their products or services down their audience’s throat aren’t going to be successful in the long run.

People don't want to be sold to. Do you?

People want to be entertained, engaged, informed, rewarded. And they really want to like the brands they do business with.

They will actually wear brands like a badge. They want to tell their friends, “Hey, look at me, I am cool or important or smart because I am like this brand.”

So don't SELL IT or TELL IT, figure out who you are as a company and build your brand persona around that. Then start conversations with your audience. It will pay off in the end. While the marketers who just continue to push their mantra of "Sell, sell, sell," will slowly fade away into oblivion.

CASE STUDY BLURB: Think about Coke as a brand persona. (Beyond the red and white colors and logo) People are proud to associate themselves with this brand. They wear Coke hats, shirts, buy stuffed polar bears. The Coke persona is a likable, hip, youthful, friendly one. I want to hang out with Coke. They don't sell to me, they offer themselves up as some"one" I want to associate myself with. And Coke has done a masterful job of remaining consistent, true to their brand persona. It's the Real Thing. Coke is It. To today's Open Happiness. So much so that when brain scans were done on people shown the Pepsi logo or the Coke logo, the scans revealed activity in the pleasure center when shown the Coke logo more so than Pepsi. Dannggg. Now that is something.
Don't you wanna be like Coke (in a manner of speaking?)

1 comment:

mbuchanan said...

I agree. People want to be a part of something. We all strive to be individuals, but we deep down want to be a part of a group that feels and thinks like we do. Brands offer us that instant "badge" that identifies us as part of a group.
Coke is a huge brand, and thus it represents a huge badge. It's pretty safe to drink a Coke in public, you know you will be out on no limbs doing so. But order a Blue Moon wheat beer in a bar, and suddenly you may not be fitting in with the general beer-swilling group of real men at the other end of the bar.
Brands have that kind of power over our lives.

Post a Comment